Plaphoons is a communication tool for people physically handicapped, for example people with cerebral palsy. It can also serve for learning reading and writing and helping to control the computer for these people. Also can help other people with communication difficulties as persons with autism spectrum disorders (ASD), people with Down syndrome, etc.
Source: Projecte Fressa
Menu Control offers some submenus that can activate another kind of access systems.
- Automatic scanning
- Manual scanning (to move, right-click)
- Automatic scanning activated by right-click pressed
In all cases there are two alternatives.
- Without vertical scanning. Designed especially for younger children that they may have difficulty in the concept, vertical scnannig, and after, horizontal scanning.
- When click, don't initialize the mouse position. Normally in scanning when a box is pressed, the scanning begins again in the beginning (top left corner). By this option, the scanning follows in the same place.
- Does not include pictograms, except those used in the example boards. It is advisable to download the symbols for free from the Araasac page.
- If you allow Can edit with Drag/Drop in the Edit menu, you can swap the contents of two cells and if there are two Plaphoons windows running simultaneously, you can drag/drop a cell from one window to the other. The original window cell is not lost.
- The writing area (message bar) supports up to 21 cells, but on one line.
- Plaphoons is the management program to create the boards that are used in AndroidPlaphoons.
- Although there is no information on the technical requirements for the operation of the program, the truth is that it is a lightweight computer application without great demands on the system.
|Disability||Functional description||ICF code||Qualifier||Product use|
|Physical||Control of simple voluntary movements||b7600.1||MILD problem||It is possible to use the product with a MILD level of difficulty in this functional description|
|Physical||Control of complex voluntary movements||b7601.3||SEVERE problem||It is possible to use the product with a SEVERE level of difficulty in this functional description|
|Visual||Visual acuity functions||b2100.1||MILD problem||It is possible to use the product with a MILD level of difficulty in this functional description|
|Auditory||Speech discrimination||b2304.3||SEVERE problem||It is possible to use the product with a SEVERE level of difficulty in this functional description|
|Cognitive||Intellectual functions||b117.2||MODERATE problem||It is possible to use the product with a MODERATE level of difficulty in this functional description|
|Functional description||ICF code||Qualifier||Product function that solves the difficulty|
|Communicating with receiving-spoken messages||d310.4||COMPLETE problem||Communication boards|
|Writing messages||d345.4||COMPLETE problem||Communication boards|
|Producing signs and symbols||d3351.4||COMPLETE problem||Communication boards|
- If the motor control of the user is not enough to tap the tablet, Plaphoons offers a lot of other ways to control the program.
- And also can help adults who have lost the ability to speak because of have been injured or having an illness.
- Plaphoons has been evolving and improving over many years thanks to the contributions of users and the responsiveness of its creator, Jordi Lagares, to their demands.
- The program has numerous access options to manage it, covering the needs of the different disability profiles.
- It does not require installation, it is simply downloaded, unzipped and placed in the directory that the user wants.
- It is well documented and with many examples to learn how to handle it.
- Despite its complexity, it is intuitive and easy to learn.
- The program does not allow storing the message as a document. This is a rare functionality in communicators.
- The graphic design of cells and boards has limitations that do not allow for overly creative styles. For example, cells can only be rectangular, they cannot be circles or rectangles with rounded corners. But it is a minor problem.
Plaphoons is a very complete communicator, with functionalities suggested by the users themselves to its author over the years. As a communicator it is quite powerful, so the design of the boards requires a certain period of training, using the documentation, examples and video tutorials available on the Projecte Fressa website.
I believe that few communication programs have their range of access options to manage the program, thus adapting to almost any type of physical disability.